The increasing incidence of reported child abuse is a special concern for Lion's Heart. It is the duty of all volunteers to recognize and report child abuse and neglect. Child abuse is damage to a child for which there is no "reasonable" explanation. Child abuse includes non-accidental physical injury, neglect, sexual molestation, and emotional abuse. The following guidelines have been adopted as the official policy.
Volunteer Recruitment, Training and Supervision
- In order to protect individuals, volunteers are encouraged to avoid, where possible, being alone with a single child.
- Lion's Heart volunteers will not, under any circumstances, discipline children by use of physical punishment or by failing to provide the necessities of care such as food or shelter.
- Lion's Heart volunteers should be alert to the physical and emotional state of all children each time they report for a program. Signs of injury or suspected child abuse should be reported to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities To Parents
- Parents may visit programs at any time.
- When there is suspicion of child abuse, volunteers to whom it has been reported or witnessed will immediately inform Lion's Heart Executive Director.
- Lion's Heart Executive Director is a Mandated Reporter through the California Department of Social Services and is legally obligated to report all suspected abuse of a minor. Abuse includes mental, physical, sexual, or any other form of abuse.
- In the event the reported incident involves a Lion's Heart volunteer, this individual will immediately be relieved from all activities involving children until cleared.
- Regardless of where or under what circumstances the alleged incident takes place, if a Lion's Heart volunteer is involved, appropriate action will be taken.
- Lion's Heart volunteers should be sensitive to the need for confidentiality in the handling of information concerning child abuse. Volunteers will discuss matters pertaining to abuse and suspected abuse only with the appropriate Lion's Heart representatives.
Lion's Hearts Has Signed a Pledge To:
- Not collect, maintain, use or share student personal information beyond that needed for authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not sell student personal information.
- Not use or disclose student information collected through an educational/school service (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to students.
- Not build a personal profile of a student other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not make material changes to school service provider consumer privacy policies without first providing prominent notice to the account holder(s) (i.e., the educational institution/agency, or the parent/student when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent) and allowing them choices before data is used in any manner inconsistent with terms they were initially provided; and not make material changes to other policies or practices governing the use of student personal information that are inconsistent with contractual requirements.
- Not knowingly retain student personal information beyond the time period required to support the authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Collect, use, share, and retain student personal information only for purposes for which we were authorized by the educational institution/agency, teacher or the parent/student.
- Disclose clearly in contracts or privacy policies, including in a manner easy for parents to understand, what types of student personal information we collect, if any, and the purposes for which the information we maintain is used or shared with third parties.
- Support access to and correction of student personally identifiable information by the student or their authorized parent, either by assisting the educational institution in meeting its requirements or directly when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent.
- Maintain a comprehensive security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security, privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of student personal information against risks - such as unauthorized access or use, or unintended or inappropriate disclosure - through the use of administrative, technological, and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Require that our vendors with whom student personal information is shared in order to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for the given student personal information.
- Allow a successor entity to maintain the student personal information, in the case of our merger or acquisition by another entity, provided the successor entity is subject to these same commitments for the previously collected student personal information.
Updated February 9, 2018